Saturday, September 15, 2012

For all you new College Students!

First year of college
Graduation day

This is for all those new Freshman, who have gone away to college, (or who have moved out of their parent's home) living in the dorm room, having a meal plan, on their own. If you have a college student or know one...send them the link to this blog!

So... have you heard about all the horror stories of gaining weight your Freshman year...a.k.a Freshman 15??

Unfortunately, from my personal experience...it was true for me.



Hopefully I can give you some tips, and advice on preventing the "Freshman 15," but also living a healthier lifestyle in college and beyond.

First, my story...

I grew up in Las Vegas and graduated from Silverado High School. (Go Skyhawks!) The next fall I was off to Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, TX. (Axe em Jacks!). I was living in a dorm room with a meal plan, thousands of miles away from home. I could eat what I want, I could do what I want, so long I went to class and kept my scholarship! 


I was always active growing up...dance, volleyball, track, swimming, more dance, so I never thought I would gain weight in college. Furthermore, I continued to dance in college. Unfortunately, my lifestyle changed, I ate more microwaved cooked meals, ate dessert after every meal, and really enjoyed those southern cooked meals. I had an abundance of food to choose from at the cafeteria. So long as I swiped my card, I was free to eat whatever I liked, and go back for seconds, and even thirds.  I managed to stay up later, indulge at every meal, and if I went out, I always ended the night at a fast food joint before going home (usually Whataburger!).

However, I went to the gym on campus to "keep of the weight", and danced every day. To me, I was active. I walked to class, I danced, I didn't eat that bad. Well sure enough, the pounds were adding up, and my clothes were becoming tighter. It was a slow weight gain that just snuck up on me. 

I didn't really notice that I had gained weight until. I went home for Christmas break. Even my second year of college, when I danced every morning on the Pom Squad, I still gained weight. Overall, I gained 20lbs in a year and a half.

I am here to tell you that you can prevent the weight gain, or reduce the amount of weight gain by just being aware of what you are eating. Below I have listed 10 things that can help you avoid the Freshman 15....

1. Stay active: go to the gym on campus, join an intramural team, take fitness or dance classes, grab a ball, some friends and head out to the field

2. Do not cover your plate with food. Trust me, the cafeteria will not run out of food. Don't feel like you need to try everything or even eat everything. Your parents are no longer there to tell you "finish your plate."
Imagine your plate cut into fourths. 1/4= protein, 1/4= starch, 1/2= veggies.

3. Limit dessert to 1 time a day. If you need something sweet, grab a piece of fruit or yogurt

4. Have "healthy" snacks in your dorm room. Almonds, protein bars, cheese sticks, fruit, veggies.

5. Drink Calorie free or low calorie beverages. Milk is the exception. (I want you to get your calcium!) Drink water, crystal lite, iced tea. Avoid soda, powerade, gatorade, sweet tea. And...(yes, I will mention the alcoholic beverages...they are FULL of calories.)

6. Try to avoid late night Fast Food stops. After a late night out, wait until you get home and make a PB&J sandwich or grab a protein bar. Avoid Top Ramen!

7. Bring snacks to class to prevent moments of "starving" and going on a binge.

8. Weigh yourself once a week, not every day, not never. Weighing yourself can actually help you stay on track with your goals. Weigh yourself in the morning, with limited clothing, after going to the bathroom!

9. Keep a journal. Write down your feelings, bad food days, good food days, snack ideas...Use it as a reference tool to turn too when you are having a good day, bad day, or to remember an amazing recipe!

10. Do NOT freak out if you get on the scale one week and you are up 5lbs. It happens! Heck, it happens to all of us not in college. Take a deep breath, and reflect on your week. Did you eat out? Where did you go? How many times did you have dessert? What did you drink all week? Did you exercise? Maybe, your best friend celebrated her birthday and you indulged. That is OK! Shake it off, and make the next week about getting back on track.

Bonus: Be proud of yourself. This is a time to have fun, learn, try new things, and grow as a person! If you have a good week reward yourself with anything, EXCEPT FOOD! Food is not a reward or a punishment, but a way to fuel our minds and bodies.

If you need help, encouragement, or want to ask a question PLEASE contact me by leaving a comment or email me at juliew214@gmail.com

** Parents and Siblings: you can also use the above tips to help YOU live healthier and happier by staying active and eating a well balanced diet. Support your college kid(s) by sending care packages with healthy options and not cookies and candies!! Trust me, they will get plenty of junk food. Instead send them a fruit basket, or a care package with new workout clothes, or some fun protein/snack bars you found at the store.




3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I had the freshman 20 too! It was too easy to grab in-n-out on the way home from school (I lived at home while going to school). Thanks Jules for the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's cooking is so good I LOSE wieght when I'm NOT living at home. These are great tips though!

      Delete
    2. Well, I just remember how I felt and wanted to pass on some encouragement and tips to those new freshman!

      Delete